Bridging the gap between who we are as a society and where we are as a workplace …
We are a world without borders, a global economy, and an increasingly international society — and the demographics of the workplace reflect this evolution.
To successfully navigate this constantly shifting landscape, Burns White is committed to achieving diversity at our firm. We recognize the importance of recruiting qualified candidates of various backgrounds, and strive to maintain a diverse and dynamic workforce, as well as a supportive and inclusive work community.
Each attorney at Burns White plays a role in our mission, which is to stand firmly beside the notion that creating and retaining a diverse workforce is a part of our culture of providing clients with service excellence. Our firm encompasses the varied experiences that each individual brings to it. Because we continually are learning from each other and our clients, we are well equipped to provide the best representation to our clients in a wide range of practice areas.
Our approach is to promote the benefits and values of a diverse and inclusive organization deeply rooted in the call for change. We address challenges, share success stories, and lead strategic efforts toward diversifying our workforce.
Burns White student diversity initiatives
- Annual hosting of a reception for diverse law students that features guest speakers who are prominent diverse members of the local judiciary and/or corporations. Click here to see a recap of the 2016 Diverse Law Student Reception
- Annual informal receptions with local universities as a way for students to meet our lawyers and discuss our firm and the practice of law
- Participation in university mock interview sessions to critique and help improve student performance
- Focus on developing key skills essential to the success of the professional development of diverse attorneys, including promoting networking opportunities to help build relationships both inside and outside the firm
- An extensive and proactive mentoring program in which we pair less experienced attorneys with more senior attorneys to ensure that our diverse attorneys will have the tools necessary to succeed at the firm
- Active membership with the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (LCLD) and Minority Corporate Counsel Association (MCCA)
- Firm sponsorship of diverse community organizations
Where we go from here
The success of our firm’s diversity efforts do not stop here. We recognize our call to action. We will continue to work hard to more precisely mirror the communities in which we live and practice, to the benefit of both our clients and our attorneys.